Hey guys! I hope tat everyone has had a good week! I apologize for not posting an article last week. So in order to make it up to you I will be going through the last TWO weeks of news for this post! Have a great weekend! Stay safe!
In good news…
1. Turkish men are wearing miniskirts in honor of Özgecan Aslan, 20-year-old Turkish psychology student, who was murdered two weeks ago after allegedly fighting off a rapist. Follow the hashtag #ozgecanicinminietekgiy for more information on the protests.
2. A new startup that analyzes legislative data has confirmed what we long suspected: female Senators are more productive, passing more bills than their male counterparts and working together more often to sponsor bipartisan measures.
3. On Wednesday, Nadya Tolokonnikova and Masha Alyokhina of the Russian punk group Pussy Riot released a song titled ‘I Can’t Breathe’ in order to make a statement about Eric Garner, the Black Lives Matter movement and their own struggles with Russian President Vladimir Putin’s leadership.
4. Oregon’s next mayor, Kate Brown, will be the first openly bisexual mayor. Congrats Kate!
5. The Yale chapter of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity has been banned from campus until 2016, reportedly for violating the school’s sexual misconduct policies
6. The Department of Defense’s research agency has created a program to trace human traffickers. The search engine, called Memex, scrapes prostitution ads from dark websites overlooked by commercial search engines like Google or Bing, then saves them for later use.
7. San Francisco’s Cow Palace hosted a Native American conference on two spirit people. YAY
In bad news…
1. Texas issued its first same sex marriage license (YAY!)…. then promptly asked for it back. WTF?!
2. El Salvador has decided it will not pardon any of the other women recommended by the Center of Reproductive Rights and the Agrupacion Ciudadana. These women are all being held on homicide charges stemming from claims of them having abortions.
3. South Dakota Republican Issac Latterell has compared Planned Parenthood to ISIS. I think this guy may need to pick up a book and learn a few things…
4. A new study says that women make up 2/3rds of all journalism majors, but only account for 40% of all anchor positions and bylines.
5. A new investigation from the Center for Investigative Reporting shows that Jehovah’s Witness leaders explicitly discourage church elders from reporting child sexual abuse allegations to the police, or even to their own congregations.
6. A Cleveland man has been arrested for the death of his 22-year-old child, Bri Golec, whom he murdered for being transgender.
7. GOP State Senator Thomas Corbin has continued to offend his SOLE female counterpart State Senator Katrina Shealey. “Well, you know God created man first,” Corbin said, reportedly smirking at Shealy. “Then he took the rib out of man to make woman. And you know, a rib is a lesser cut of meat.”
8. A report on AL.com says that only 17 out of 54 counties in Alabama contain hospitals where a woman can deliver a baby. WTF
9. Pope Francis said some crazy shit ):