Happy Feminist Friday everybody! I hope everybody had a great week! Since last week had so much good news, I guess this week is trying to make up for it with an increase in bad news. As always, let me know if I missed anything by leaving a comment! Have a great weekend!
In good news…
1. Sports Illustrated will feature plus size model Ashley Graham in its annual swimsuit issue. Congrats Ashley!
2. Kevin Bollaert, the first person to get convicted for creating a revenge porn site, was found guilty Monday of identity theft and extortion. He faces up to 20 years in prison.
3. 50% of millenials believe gender is not binary.
4. The police operations concerning human trafficking at the Super Bowl got 570 johns and 23 traffickers. They also rescued 68 victims.
In bad news…
1. A new study published by the American Psychological Association finds that many colleges and universities are underreporting sexual assault cases on campus.
2. Rep Brian Greene of Utah said this ‘It looks to me now like sex with an unconscious person is, by definition, rape,” he said. “I hope this wouldn’t happen, but this opens the door to it: an individual has sex with their wife while she is unconscious — or he, the only other way around, if that’s possible, I don’t know. But a prosecutor could then charge that spouse with rape’.
3. A judge in the UK has ruled that women with intellectual disabilities can be forcefully sterilized.
4. Venezuela, a country with a soaring HIV rate, has ran out of condoms. A 36 pack on the black market is going for roughly $755, which is also the average monthly salary in the country.
5. The Supreme Court refused to consider the case of Angela Ames, a woman who was forced to quit her job because she needed to breastfeed
6. An Indiana women has been found guilty of feticide and neglect after having a miscarriage.