Happy Feminist Friday! I hope that everyone had a great week! Sorry for the late post (again)! This new part time job has turned into a fulltime plus some job! As always, I have rounded up the news from the past week for you! If I’ve missed anything let me know in the comments section! Have a great weekend!
In good news…
1. SCOTUS will hear arguments concerning whether same sex marriage is a right under the Constitution in April. YES!!
2. The threat of contracting ebola has a silver lining; female genital mutilation in Sierra Leone has drastically reduced over fears of getting the disease.
3. Tiffany & Co’s new engagement ad features a gay couple. YAY!!
4. President Obama is calling for paid parental leave and sick time. Finally.
In bad news…
1. Guadalupe, an El Salvadorian woman who was convicted of intentionally terminating her pregnancy in 2007, was denied a pardon on her 30 year sentence. She is one of hundreds of women serving time for a miscarriage.
2. Laila Bint Abdul Muttalib Basim was publicly beheaded in Mecca after being accused of sexual abuse and murder. She was not given any painkillers previously to the execution and it took THREE times to behead her. Fucking ridiculous.
3. North Miami Beach Police have gotten caught using black men’s mugshots for target practice. Wtf Florida.
4. In Touch Magazine, the only magazine brave enough to publish anything they make up, has pulled a dick move and photoshopped Bruce Jenner’s photo on the cover with makeup and contouring to keep up their idea that he is transgender. 1. This is rude and disrespectful to all trans people and 2. What did Bruce Jenner ever do to them?
5. Douchbag of the week: Pastor Ray Chavez of New Hope Ministries quit during a funeral service due to the woman whose service it was being gay. He then made her family take the flowers, pictures, AND CASKET and leave. WTF dude