Happy Feminist Friday everybody!! I hope that everybody had a wonderful holiday/time off of work! Surprisingly/Thankfully there was very little bad news to report on this week! Let me know if I missed anything in the comments! Have a great weekend and a safe NYE!
In good news…
2. The family of a brain dead Irish woman, who was being kept alive via machines due to being pregnant, has been allowed to take her off of life support due to a ruling by Irish courts. Her family has wanted her to die with dignity and not be kept alive by a machine just because she was 14 weeks pregnant. My thoughts go out to her family and friends
3. Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt’s child Shiloh, has decided that he wants to be known as John and present himself as male. Congrats to the Jolie Pitt family for being so open and accepting!! We need more families like them!
4. The FDA has lifted the ban on gay men donating blood! It still ask for them to have been abstinent for the past year, but it is a big step in the right direction!
5. A federal appeals court in North Carolina has thrown out the state’s ultrasound law!
6. Department of Justice is suing the Chicago Board of Education for discriminating against pregnant teachers.
7. Indonesia will abolish the practice of virginity tests at the state run college for civil servant applicants.
In bad news…
1. President Erdogan (of Turkey) used his invitation to a couple’s wedding to instead get out his soap box and denounce liberals and birth control for ruining Turkey. Worst. Guest. Ever.
2. Nepalese migrants building the infrastructure to host the 2022 World Cup have died at a rate of one every two days in 2014. WTF Qatar!