Happy Feminist Friday friends!! I hope everybody had a great week! This week had way more good news than bad news, which is awesome! Or maybe my optimistic brain was only seeing the good news? Either way, Enjoy! If you have any news you think I missed out on, feel free to leave it in the comments section!
In good news…
1. In local to me news, The Elizabeth Campbell Surgical Center, the last abortion providing clinic in Cincinnati, was allowed to remain open due to the health department granting it an exception. If it were to close, Cincy would be the largest metropolitan area without a clinic.
2. The Obama administration has announced that Susan E. Morrison will be the White House’s next Executive Pastry Chef. This is the first time that a woman has held this position! Go Susan!
3. The Governor of Virginia is calling on the University of Virginia to thoroughly investigate the fraternity accused of a 2012 gang rape, as reported recently by Rolling Stone Magazine. About time VA!
4. President Obama has announced a sweeping reform to the immigration system. Finally!
5. The U.S. Supreme Court denied South Carolina’s request to block gay marriage in the state. YAY!!
6. U.S. District Judge Brian Morris ruled against Montana’s constitutional amendment banning marriage equality!
In bad news…
1. More and more victims are coming forward claiming to have been abused by Bill Cosby. I hope that somehow these victims have been able to move forward with their lives after these terrible events.
2. It turns out that Barbie can’t be a computer engineer. ):
3. A report out by National Center for Family and Homelessness says that 1 out of 30 children will be homeless at one point this year, which is an 8% increase