Hey guys! Sorry for the late post! I have had a super busy week this past week; unfortunately nothing too fun, just a lot of work! But as always I have gone through the news of the past week and picked out the most important feminist stories of the week! If I missed any, please feel free to add them in the comments section!
In good news…
1. After month long negotiations between Boko Haram and the Nigerian government, a truce has been issued and they have announced they will be releasing the remaining 200 kidnapped school girls. YES!!!!
2. The Supreme Court on Tuesday allowed more than a dozen Texas abortion clinics to reopen, blocking a state law that had imposed strict requirements on abortion providers. Yay!
In bad news…
1. In El Salvador, where termination of pregnancy whether abortion, miscarriage, or stillborn, is illegal, 17 women are currently sitting in prison convicted of infanticide. These women were convicted using something called the ‘float test’, which has been known as quackery in the medical community for 100 years! Amnesty International is working to get these women released and change the archaic abortion laws.
2. Christy Mack has posted some recovery photos of herself online and she is looking amazing! Unfortunately, she has been bombarded with hateful messages implying her assault was warranted due to her line of work. Way to stay classy people.
4. Anita Sarkeesian had to cancel an appearance at Utah State University after receiving terrorizing threats. Despite receiving these types of threats in the past, Anita chose to cancel this event as the state’s conceal-and-carry law prevented the police from taking adequate security measures to address the threat. ):