Happy Feminist Friday people!! I hope that everyone had an awesome week! As always, I have assembled a list of the top feminist news that has happened in the past week! I wasn’t able to find a lot of news this week, so if anyone has any additional news that I may have missed, please feel free to leave a comment!
In good news…
1. Malala Yousafzai became the youngest person awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. She was awarded the Nobel Prize today along with Kailash Satyarthi. Go Malala and Kailash!
2. Laura Jane Grace, of Against Me! fame, debuted her new AOL series True Trans.
3. You can now legally marry your same sex partner in 30 states!
4. A Swedish women is the first person to give birth after receiving a womb transplant!
In bad news…
1. A study was released finding that white men hold 65% of elected positions in the US, while only accounting for 31% of the population. It also found that 90% of elected positions are held by white people, although they account for 63% of the population.
2. The new federal minimum wage for home care workers will not go into effect until July 2015, not in January as previously promised.
3. Texas abortion providers have reached out to the Supreme Court in order to stop the closure of more clinics.
4. DC judge rules upskirt photos don’t violate women’s privacy. The stated that they don’t have a reasonable expectation of privacy when clothed and positioned in the manner in which these women were in a public space