Hello and happy Feminist Friday everybody!! I hope everyone had a great week and will have an equally greater weekend! Here is the latest round up of feminist news you may have missed in the past week!
In good news…
1. Congress approved and sent President Obama legislation Thursday that will renew a soon to expire program that helps local governments cut their backlogs of unexamined DNA evidence in rape cases.
2. Ashish Gupta chose all black models for his latest fashion show, including Chantelle Brown Young. Go Ashish!
3. A new ad by Target will feature a gay couple with their child. Yay progress!!
4. Today the White House announced the creation of the ‘It’s on Us’ campaign to prevent sexual assaults on college campuses.
In bad news…
1. It was revealed that there was a bomb threat at the Game Developers Choice Awards in March. Many organizers for the event were emailed a threat stating that if Anita Sarkeesian were awarded the Ambassador Award they would set off a bomb at the event. Luckily the police were alerted and there was no bomb detected. The event then went on as scheduled.
2. For the 4th time since 2012, Senate Republicans have blocked the Paycheck Fairness Act
3. CBS Sports and NFL Network have decided against using ‘Run This Town’ by Jay Z and Rihanna before Thursday night games this season due to the Ray Rice scandal and Rihanna’s past of being abused. WTF?