Hello and happy Feminist Friday everyone! I decided to compile a list of some of the biggest feminist news that occurred in the past week.
In good news…
1. Mt. Holyoke, a women’s college in MA, has changed its policy to allow transwomen as applicants! Congrats!
2. The man who shot and killed 19 year old Renisha McBride last November in Detroit was sentenced to 17-32 years in prison.
3. In Baton Rouge, a district court judge granted a temporary restraining order to three of Louisiana’s five abortion clinics who faced closure due to a law requiring abortion providers to have admitting privileges at local hospitals. Similarly, the state of Texas requested the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals to reverse an Austin district judge’s decision, which in turn prevented the closure of a majority of abortion clinics in the state and allowed one to reopen.
4. The NFL toughened its punishment guidelines concerning players accused of domestic assault.
5. According to a study from the Entertainment Software Association, there are now more women videogame players than teenage boys.
In bad news..
1. A new report out by the CDC says that 1 out of every 5 Americans women have been raped.
2. GOP lawmakers in Missouri are trying to pass ANOTHER restriction on women’s health (as if closing all but one abortion clinic in the state wasn’t enough) by extending the waiting period for abortion procedures to 72 hours, with no exceptions for rape or incest.
3. Cee Lo Green tweeted proof that he doesn’t understand what rape is, and then promptly issued a half-assed apology.
4. And finally…. the celebrity picture leak happened. I beg people to remember that everyone is entitled to privacy in their lives, even celebrities. This is a blatant invasion of privacy and I ask that we respect these fellow humans by not viewing the stolen photos.
Have a good weekend everybody!!